Session 1: Wednesday 27 April. Introductory Session, Sub Genre, Rules, Means, Opportunity and Motive:
· Introductions, course outline and goals.
· Outline of the crime fiction genre and sub-genres.
· Means, Opportunity and Motive
Session 2: Wednesday 4 May. Main Character:
· Who is your crime fighter, or are they the criminal? Main character: from small details to the big picture.
· Point of view.
Session 3: Wednesday 11 May. Victim, Villain and the Supporting Cast:
· Who is your first victim? Crime fiction victim portrayal.
· Who is your villain?
· Your supporting cast; suspects, lies and alibis.
Session 4: Wednesday 18 May. Guest tutor, Craig Sisterson and Setting:
· Where are the bodies buried? Setting as a character and local environment.
ONE WEEK WRITING BREAK
Session 5: Wednesday 1 June. Plotting and Structure:
· Plot and structure.
· Narrative drive. How do you keep readers turning the pages?
Session 6: Wednesday 8 June. Guest tutor Chris Hammer:
· Clues, red herrings and types of evidence.
· Police procedurals, journalism in crime fiction, and ask a crime writer Q&A.
Session 7: Wednesday 15 June. Research:
· Forensic science and crime scene investigation tips.
· Authenticity and specifics. Know your gun!
Session 8: Wednesday 22 June. Where to From Here?
· Where to from here? Associations and competitions.
· Class discussion on taking your story forward.