Writing your life story can be an incredibly powerful and moving journey for an aspiring writer to go on. We want to make sure you have help along the way, finding a space where you can generate new ideas and map out a plan for getting words on the page.
Working with acclaimed memoirist and widely-respected writing tutor, Dr Lee Kofman, you will look at successful examples of the genre. You’ll learn how to shape life stories into gripping narratives, and yourselves and the people in your lives into compelling characters, with a focus on where to begin – parsing through research, diaries and remembered events, to start forming initial chapters.
Each weekly session will have a different focus, and will include both theory and writing exercises to assist you in developing your skills – both practical and critical – in writing your memoir.
Collaborating with Dr Lee Kofman and your fellow students, you will bring work into the classroom to share and develop within the group.
It’s not all about beginnings: this course will finish with a look towards the future, thinking about practical strategies to keep you going on with your manuscript.
By the end of the course you will have:
- Gained an understanding of the important elements and techniques of memoir writing;
- Bolstered your abilities and interest in writing nonfiction in a friendly environment;
- Received constructive feedback on your writing, so that you can measure your improvement.
Your course includes:
- A complimentary copy of a recent A&U publication
- On completion of the course, alumni discounts on future Faber Writing Academy courses and books from the Allen & Unwin website.